
That is exactly how I put blogging off. I just told myself, " I am too tired. I need to go to bed." After doing this awhile (more like a month) I realized it has been 32 days since my last blog; I needed to kick it into gear.
I promised I would talk about percussion ensemble. The first week I was totally lost having just joined when everyone around me had a years more experience than me. I took to beating the ground randomly with borrowed drum sticks from my teacher. It went like this:
Teacher: 1 e + a rest!
Me: hit ground on the rest
Teacher: gives me that purple hair look.
I decided I needed some help with this so I asked Mom for private lessons. I ended up with a teacher named Ryan. That is my name. Spelled different, but still my name. Weird. Too weird.
I have advanced to eight on a hand; a basic, basic, basic, basic, basic, (did I mention basic) exercise and I am still hitting myself in the eye with my drumstick because it keeps flying out of my hand. I was feeling pretty proud of myself when we got a piece called Kickin' It Raggae Style.
There was a whole bunch accents and double stroke rolls. I am still trying to figure out how to count the notes here.
With all my knowledge (funny) we tried wearing drums and cymbals to practice marching band (this group does everything). Since I was on pit and the percussion teacher didn't bring pit she put me on cymbals. Cymbals are much heavier than they look. I thought, thin sheets of light weight metal. I grabbed them and almost fell over. We started drilling and every time I moved I swayed. My teacher announced in front of every body that I should challenge in cymbals. Wow, she wants a tiny girl who is trying to master eight on a hand. She wants me to be on cymbals even though I sway every time I shift the cymbal's position. A high school marching band student who was helping with the ordeal also noted on my talent. This rocks! I go from purple hair look to people noting how exceptional I was. I should have joined sooner.
I got home that night with black and blue hands throbbing.
Exceptional.

1 comment:
How's percussion ensemble and your private lessons going? You make me tired just hearing about all you do. Please get plenty of rest. Things always seem to go better when you you're not so tired.
Post a Comment